Stalybridge engineering work - major changes to train times
Updated Tuesday 9 October 2012
Between Saturday 27 October and Sunday 04 November there will be a complete closure of the railway at Stalybridge.
For nine days Northern Rail and First TransPennine Express services cannot operate on the route through Stalybridge on the trans Pennine railway line between Huddersfield and Manchester.
As a result there will be a revised timetable on both routes between Leeds and Manchester:
- the North trans Pennine route Leeds – Manchester Piccadilly via Huddersfield
- and Calder Valley route Leeds – Manchester Victoria via Hebden Bridge.
Northern services that normally call at local stations between Huddersfield and Manchester Victoria will be replaced by a bus service for all or part of the journey. Download the revised timetable for Huddersfield - Staylbridge - Manchester Victoria.
First TransPennine Express services will be diverted to avoid Stalybridge and as a result the number of trains that Northern can operate on the Calder Valley is reduced. Download the revised timetable of all trains between Leeds and Manchester via Bradford or Dewsbury (including First Transpennine Express services) during this period.
As a result a revised timetable will be in place between Leeds and Huddersfield. Download a revised timetable for Leeds and Huddersfield.
What does this mean for my journey?
Depending on where you are travelling to and from you may not notice any difference to your normal journey. However, on some routes the changes are significant.
Monday to Saturday summary of alterations to services
Northern Rail will operate trains between:
Leeds and Manchester Victoria via Bradford Interchange, Halifax, Hebden Bridge and Rochdale.
Leeds and Hebden Bridge via Dewsbury and Brighouse. (these trains will not run through to Manchester Victoria).
Leeds and Huddersfield (local stopping trains via Dewsbury).
Selby - Leeds - Bradford Interchange - Huddersfield -Wakefield Westgate via Halifax and Brighouse.
Manchester Victoria & Ashton-under-Lyne (Monday to Friday until 7pm).
First TransPennine Express will operate trains between:
Most services will also call additionally at Dewsbury.
- Liverpool to Newcastle via Newton-Le-Willows and Manchester Victoria.
- Manchester Victoria to Middlesbrough with selected services calling additionally at Rochdale, Todmorden and Hebden Bridge. Huddersfield to Selby and Hull.
- Huddersfield to York and Scarborough.
For the majority of the day First TransPennine Express services will not serve Manchester Piccadilly, Manchester Oxford Road, Manchester Airport, Warrington Central, Birchwood or Liverpool South Parkway.
Rail replacement buses will operate between
- Huddersfield and Guide Bridge (Monday to Friday until 7pm)
- or Huddersfield and Manchester Victoria (after 7pm and on Saturdays)
buses will call at Slaithwaite (A62 and not the station), Marsden (A62 and not the station), Greenfield, Mossley and Ashton under Lyne.
Sunday summary of alterations to services
- Huddersfield and Manchester Airport calling at Stockport for connecting rail services to Manchester Piccadilly and destinations on the National Rail Network
- Stalybridge and Guide Bridge for connecting rail services to Manchester Piccadilly
Warrington Central and Newton-le-Willows
On Sundays, rail services will be similar to the Monday to Saturday service except First TransPennine Express will operate direct trains to/from Manchester Airport.
Replacement buses will only operate between: